Thursday, December 29, 2016

My Review of Metro 2033

I picked up Dmitriy Glukhovsky's Metro 2033 because I was in the mood for some post-apocalyptic fiction and had heard good things about the novel. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. The setting and mood are well written and the characters are believable and interesting, but the plot dragged. The beginning part of Metro 2033 is mostly exposition about how society developed in Moscow's Metro following the apocalyptic event, the various factions that arose, and which stations they occupied. I made it 20% of the way through the novel without any significant events occurring, at which point I gave up and put it aside. I understand that post-apocalyptic fiction does not have to be action-packed to be entertaining (The Road and On the Beach are prime examples of that); however, Metro 2033 could not hold my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment